Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#73706 - 07/31/12 02:43 PM Hips - Second Opinion
Rob Morris Offline

Just went to the vet to get George's stomach tacked/neutered the other day and decided we should get x-rays of his hips while he was under. The vet told us that he has mild hip dysplasia in one of his hips. Just wanted to get a second opinion from one of the Vets on the site. Our swissy is a 17 month old male.

#73707 - 08/01/12 08:25 AM Re: Hips - Second Opinion [Re: Rob Morris]
Tommy Curtis Online   content

Loc: Pennsylvania
Mr. Morris,

I am not a veterinarian; nor do I have any credentials that would allow me to render a decision on these films. However, after nearly four decades of looking at Swissy hip films, I will say this: Despite the fact that both socket joints look deep and well formed, and both ball joints are well rounded, the right ball joint appears to be slightly out of the socket. This, in my opinion, could just be a positioning issue. If they retook the pictures and positioned the right joint better, you would likely get a different outcome from the OFA.

Again...just my opinion. I'm no expert.

t

#73708 - 08/04/12 10:41 PM Re: Hips - Second Opinion [Re: Tommy Curtis]
Kristin Krumpe Offline

Loc: Redding, CT
IF this were a dog you had hoped to breed, then it might be worth a "re-do" before submitting to the OFA. There definitely appears to be some subluxation in the left hip (which appears on the right), and that is probably what the vet is seeing/commenting on. I suspect that is why he took two shots -- it looks worse in the film at the top (more out of the socket) but there is still a little subluxation in the second films as well. It would be interesting to have him Penn-Hipped, as if there was a lot more laxity on that side, a Penn Hip reading would tell you that. What I don't see are signs of degenerative joint disease at this stage, though your boy is still young and if there is truly a lot more laxity on one side, it means he MIGHT be at risk for more arthritic changes on that side as he ages.

All that said, because you had your boy neutered we can assume he is not a show/breeding prospect. So I don't think I would go to the trouble of getting x-rays retaken at this point. At the very least, I would probably wait a year and do them then if you're still worried. At that point, it would give you a better indication if there are any changes on that side. And I don't think I would subject him to anesthesia just to do x-rays unless there is some urgency (if you notice changes in his gait, his ability to get up and down, etc.)

The other thing you might want to do is put him on some glucosamine and fish oil supplements, if he's not already...just to get things in there well-lubricated.

#73737 - 08/23/12 05:15 PM Re: Hips - Second Opinion [Re: Kristin Krumpe]
Dr Allen Moderator Offline

Loc: Louisville, KY
I agree with your vet. The left hip is subluxated, technically this is the definition of "hip dysplasia". Whether or not this will even cause a problem is anybody's guess but I would be proactive with a glucosamine/chondrotin supplement.
Donna Allen, DVM

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Dr Allen 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.027 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.