Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#53425 - 11/15/08 09:16 AM Proin and Diarrhea?
Erica H Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
Hello-
We've had Emma on Proin 50mg/day for a few weeks for incontinence. It is working great for her leaking but I have noticed that her stools have been VERY loose-sometimes liquid. I am trying to determine if Proin is the cause or something else. We are on the second 40 lb bag of a new food so I think that she would have already adjusted to the new food, and nothing else has changed, so...

Anyone have experiences with Proin causing this side effect? Thanks!

#53426 - 11/15/08 10:44 AM Re: Proin and Diarrhea? [Re: Erica H]
SwissySara Offline

Loc: Albuquerque, NM
Thea's been on it for about 6 months (maybe more) and we've never had that problem. i haven't heard of that as a side effect, but i guess anything is possible. is there anything else that could be caused it? something she got into in the yard while playing?

#53450 - 11/16/08 07:18 PM Re: Proin and Diarrhea? [Re: SwissySara]
Dr Allen Moderator Offline

Loc: Louisville, KY
That's not a side effect we generally see with Proin.
Donna

#53454 - 11/17/08 06:22 AM Re: Proin and Diarrhea? [Re: Dr Allen]
Melissa Simon Offline

Loc: Downers Grove, IL
What food? It generally takes about a month for them to get used to the new food, even if you're already on the second bag.

#53458 - 11/17/08 08:50 AM Re: Proin and Diarrhea? [Re: Melissa Simon]
Erica H Offline

Thanks. I am starting to think that it is the food. She was on Canadae but she seemed pretty itchy, so we switched over to the Costco lamb and rice food. She seemed to do great on it the first month but for the last few weeks, she has been having issues. I think that it's time to try something new..

#53460 - 11/17/08 10:21 AM Re: Proin and Diarrhea? [Re: Erica H]
Melissa Simon Offline

Loc: Downers Grove, IL
Food is frequently the culprit. Especially with Swissies, for some reason.

#53461 - 11/17/08 10:40 AM Re: Proin and Diarrhea? [Re: Melissa Simon]
JK Offline

Loc: Lafayette, IN
Eric,

I have used Proin on a couple of my girls. One girl was on a fairly high dose of Proin for amost a year and I never attributed runny stools with the use of Proin.
If it were me I would try a new diet, and a trip to the vet if you ever have brown liquid diarrhea, as that can get serious really quick.
I know that a new diet really helped my swissy with runny stools, who we knew was not suffering from an intestial infection. Also, just FYI if your Emma is still a puppy hang in there becuase I have noticed that my swissies have become more tolerant of different foods as they age. I tend to think it takes a while for a swissy puppy's gut to become populated with the appropriate microorganisms to aid in healthy digestion.
I have had very good luck with the Eagle Pack Holistic Select Duck, although if she is still a young puppy and growing (under 15 months old) I wouldn't reccommend it becuase it has a more unbalanced Calcium and Phosphorous ratio....but if she is a young adult it might be worth a try.

Janelle Kaiser
Seneca GSMD
http://www.senecaswissys.com

#53582 - 11/20/08 09:42 AM Re: Proin and Diarrhea? Follow Up Question [Re: JK]
Erica H Offline

I have a follow up question for those of you using Proin. Has anyone ever purchased Proin (or any other pet meds for that matter) online or from somewhere other than a vet? I purchased a one month supply of Proin for $28 from the vet and saw it online for $10. I would normally not even consider it; however knowing that she will be on the medicine for the rest of her life, $20/month adds up! I basically had to beg my vet for a written prescription because she was SO adamantly against purchasing prescriptions online. I looked at Costco but they don't sell that med.

What are your thoughts on online meds?

#53587 - 11/20/08 10:37 AM Re: Proin and Diarrhea? Follow Up Question [Re: Erica H]
John Rasmussen Offline

Loc: Fallbrook, Ca, USA
KV vet has it at $26.95 for 50mg 180 count. All you need to do is ask your vet to call a prescription in to the supplier and then call and order. I do it on Proin and Interceptor.

John

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Dr Allen 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.036 seconds in which 0.01 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.