Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#51043 - 08/25/08 07:27 AM Simplicef vs. Cephalexin
Leigh Poole Offline

Loc: Durham, NC
Any reason for a vet to prescribe Simplicef over Cephalexin (or another antibiotic) for pyoderma? The benefit to Simplicef is dosing only once/day but given that I feed my dog 3 times a day the convenience of dosing really isn't enough of a draw. The pills are very expensive. Is there an alternative that works just as well?

Thanks,
Leigh

#51044 - 08/25/08 07:40 AM Re: Simplicef vs. Cephalexin [Re: Leigh Poole]
Dr Allen Moderator Offline

Loc: Louisville, KY
If the dosing isn't an issue for you the Cephalexin will probably work as well as the Simplicef for a superficial pyoderma.
Donna

#51047 - 08/25/08 08:49 AM Re: Simplicef vs. Cephalexin [Re: Dr Allen]
Leigh Poole Offline

Thanks, Donna. Next time I'll be sure to ask for a less expensive antibiotic ... almost $4/pill is too much!
#51054 - 08/25/08 11:15 AM Re: Simplicef vs. Cephalexin [Re: Leigh Poole]
Alison Burns Administrator Offline

Loc: Colorado
Sometimes it depends on what the vet office has in stock. Over the years, our vet has gotten to know us and if we have the time, and it is available, then he gives a script to go to the pharmacy and we can get generic. I asked early on, and it has saved us a lot of money over the years.

As long as there is a generic available that does the same thing, we are all about going to "SAM's". BTW - Sam's club is by far the best for pricing! Almost 50% less on some meds.

#51158 - 08/29/08 10:06 AM Re: Simplicef vs. Cephalexin [Re: Alison Burns]
Leigh Poole Offline

Originally Posted By: Alison Burns
we can get generic. I asked early on, and it has saved us a lot of money over the years.

As long as there is a generic available that does the same thing, we are all about going to "SAM's".

Thanks, Alison - I'm going to ask that they put a note in our file that we want generics whenever possible and I'll talk with our vet specifically. I wished we had seen her the day were were in for the pyoderma but she wasn't working that day. She knows I'm all about saving $ whenever possible (I get them to write scrips for routine meds & I buy online). Live and learn, right!?

#51175 - 08/30/08 08:36 AM Re: Simplicef vs. Cephalexin [Re: Leigh Poole]
Dr. Amy Offline

Loc: Clinton, Ohio
Don't ever feel bad about asking for an alternative even before you leave the office with the pills. If they give you your total and it is too much speak up before the pills leave the office. Once you get them home, most vets will not take them back but an easy exchange can be made before you leave. Don't feel like a "cheapie" -- I know personally that simplicef is VERY expensive for big dogs. For small dogs it is about the same price as cephalexin, but not the case for any dog over 50 lbs. or so. BTW - Some dogs who vomit on cephalexin can tolerate Simplicef better.

-Dr. Amy

#51254 - 09/02/08 08:10 PM Re: Simplicef vs. Cephalexin [Re: Dr. Amy]
Amanda Arni Offline

Loc: Colchester, CT
Macy was on cephalexin for a skin infection and she got VERY sick. Loose stools for a week, then Diahrrea and vomiting at like the 8th day, when we stopped it because she could only hold down rice and boiled meat with plenty of pepto.After a week of eating only rice and boiled meat, she is feeling better and I am reintroducing her kibble. Is this a common reaction to the antibiotic or was her getting sick a coincedence?

What other drugs should I avoid if this was a reaction to cephalexin?

Sweet Miss Macy

#51264 - 09/03/08 07:56 AM Re: Simplicef vs. Cephalexin [Re: Amanda Arni]
Dr Allen Moderator Offline

Loc: Louisville, KY
My Lab, Lindy, also has problems with Cephalexin. After about a week she starts to get loose stools. Currently she is on her 4th week of Simplicef for an ongoing pododermatitis and no problems.
Donna

#51308 - 09/04/08 11:21 AM Re: Simplicef vs. Cephalexin [Re: Dr Allen]
Leigh Poole Offline

Just picked up another round of antibiotics (pyoderma not completely cleared up yet) - this time Cephalexin (250 mg & 500 mg). Don't have it in front of me but I think it's 1-250 mg once/day and 2-500 mg twice/day. I don't remember him taking that much before (only had pyoderma one other time at around 8 or 9 months old). He's a lot bigger/heavier now, so I'm guessing that is the primary reason for more meds.

Great thing is that these meds cost me a small fraction of what the Simlicef cost, and both were given over a 2 week time frame. And I got them filled at SuperTarget! Hopefully he will not feel sick after taking his first dose tomorrow.

#51315 - 09/04/08 06:12 PM Re: Simplicef vs. Cephalexin [Re: Leigh Poole]
Amanda Arni Offline

Loc: Colchester, CT
Well, Macy's problems were due to a corn cob I didn't know she got into, not Cephalexin.

She had surgery today to remove it, and had her stomach tacked at the same time. It is sooo quiet here without her \:\(

Edited by Amanda Arni (09/04/08 06:13 PM)

Sweet Miss Macy

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  Dr Allen 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.094 seconds in which 0.003 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.